English Advanced Grammar in Use
CONTENTSThanks vii To the student viii To the teacher ix
- 1 Present simple (I do) and present continuous (I am doing) (1)
- 2 Present simple (I do) and present continuous (I am doing) (2)
- 3 Present perfect (I have done) and past simple (I did) (1)
- 4 Present perfect (I have done) and past simple (I did) (2)
- 5 Present perfect (I have done) and past simple (I did) (3): adverbs used with these tenses
- 6 Past continuous (I was doing) and past simple (I did)
- 7 Present perfect continuous (I have been doing)
- 8 Present perfect continuous (I have been doing) and present perfect (I have done)
- 9 Past perfect (I had done) and past simple (I did)
- 10 Past perfect continuous (I had been doing) and past perfect (I had done)
- 11 Will and going to; shall
- 12 Present continuous (I am doing) for the future and going to
- 13 Present simple (I do) for the future
- 14 Future continuous (will be doing)
- 15 Be to + infinitive (I am to do), future perfect (I will have done),
- and future perfect continuous (I will have been doing)
- 16 The future seen from the past (was going to, etc.)
- 17 Should and ought to
- 18 Will and would: willingness, likelihood and certainty
- 19 Will and would: habits; used to
- 20 May, might, can and could: possibility (1)
- 21 May, might, can and could: possibility (2)
- 22 Can, could, and be able to: ability
- 23 Must and have (got) to
- 24 Need(n't), don't have to and mustn't
- 25 Permission, offers, etc.
Be, have, do, make, etc.
- 26 Linking verbs: be, appear, seem; become, get, etc.
- 27 Have and have got; have and take
- 28 Do and make
- 29 Forming passive sentences
- 30 Using passives
- 31 Verb + -ing or to-infinitive: passive forms
- 32 Reporting with passive verbs
- 33 Forming questions; reporting questions
- 34 Asking and answering negative questions
- 35 Wh-questions with how, what, which and who
Verbs: infinitives, -ing forms, etc.
- 36 Verbs with and without objects
- 37 Verb + to-infinitive or bare infinitive
- 38 Verb + to-infinitive or -ing?
- 39 Verb + -ing
- 40 Verb + wh-clause
- 41 Have/get something done; want something done, etc.
- 42 Verb + two objects
- 43 Reporting people's words and thoughts
- 44 Reporting statements (1): that-clauses
- 45 Reporting statements (2): verb tense in that-clauses
- 46 Reporting statements (3): verb tense in the reporting clause; say and tell; etc.
- 47 Reporting offers, suggestions, orders, intentions, etc.
- 48 Should in that-clauses
- 49 Modal verbs in reporting
Nouns and compounds
- 50 Countable and uncountable nouns
- 51 Agreement between subject and verb (1)
- 52 Agreement between subject and verb (2)
- 53 The possessive form of nouns (Jane's mother)
- 54 Compound nouns (1)
- 55 Compound nouns (2)
- 56 A/an and one
- 57 The and a/an (1):'the only one'
- 58 The and a/an (2): 'things already known', etc.
- 59 Some and zero article with plural and uncountable nouns
- 60 The, zero article and a/an: 'things in general'
- 61 People and places
- 62 Holidays, times of the day, meals, etc.
Determiners and quantifiers
- 63 Some and any; something, somebody, etc.
- 64 Much (of), many (of), a lot of, lots (of), etc.
- 65 All (of), the whole (of), both (of)
- 66 Each (of), every, and all
- 67 No, none (of), and not any
- 68 Few, a few (of), little, a little (of), etc.
- 69 Quantifiers with and without 'of (some/some of; any/any of; etc.)
Relative clauses and other types of clause
- 70 Relative clauses (1) (The girl who I was talking about.)
- 71 Relative clauses (2) (Tom, who is only six, can speak three languages.)
- 72 Relative clauses (3): other relative pronouns
- 73 Relative clauses (4): prepositions in relative clauses
- 74 Participle clauses (-ing, -ed and being + -ed)
- 75 Participle clauses with adverbial meaning
Pronouns, substitution and leaving out words
- 76 Reflexive pronouns: herself, himself, themselves, etc.
- 77 One and ones (There's my car - the green one.)
- 78 So (I think so; so I hear)
- 79 Do so; such
- 80 Leaving out words after auxiliary verbs
- 81 Leaving out to-infinitives (She didn't want to (go).
- 82 Adjectives: position (1)
- 83 Gradable and ungradable adjectives; position (2)
- 84 Adjectives and adverbs
- 85 Participle adjectives (the losing ticket; the selected winners)
- 86 Prepositions after adjectives: afraid of/for, etc.
- 87 Adjectives + that-clause or to-infinitive
- 88 Comparison with adjectives (1): -er/more...; enough, sufficiently, too; etc.
- 89 Comparison with adjectives (2): as...as; so...as to; etc.
Adverbs and conjunctions
- 90 Position of adverbs
- 91 Adverbs of place, indefinite frequency, and time
- 92 Degree adverbs: very, too, extremely, quite, etc.
- 93 Comment adverbs; viewpoint adverbs; focus adverbs
- 94 Adverbial clauses of time (1): verb tense; before and until; hardly, etc.
- 95 Adverbial clauses of time (2): as, when and while
- 96 Giving reasons: as, because, because of, etc.; for and with
- 97 Purposes and results: in order to, so as to, etc.
- 98 Contrasts: although and though; even though/if; in spite of and despite
- 99 Conditional sentences (1): verb tenses
- 100 Conditional sentences (2)
- 101 If...not and unless; if and whether, etc.
- 102 After waiting..., before leaving..., besides owning..., etc.
- 103 Connecting ideas between and within sentences
- 104 At, in and on: prepositions of place
- 105 Across, along, over and through; above, over, below and under
- 106 Between, among; by, beside, etc.
- 107 At, in and on: prepositions of time
- 108 During, for, in, over, and throughout; by and until
- 109 Except (for), besides, apart from and but for
- 110 About and on; by and with
- 111 Prepositions after verbs (1)
- 112 Prepositions after verbs (2)
- 113 Prepositions after verbs (3)
- 114 Two- and three-word verbs: word order
- 115 There is, there was, etc.
- 116 It... (1)
- 117 It... (2)
- 118 Focusing: it-clauses and what-clauses
- 119 Inversion (1)
- 120 Inversion (2)